#1 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

Looking for a mini friendly garage for an MOT for my mpi. I live near Chichester and notice that Sussex Road & Race are near by. Their website looks good. Anyone used them? Recommendations for anywhere else in West Sussex?

#2 PetePinnington

PetePinnington

Formally known as PPinno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:52 PM

I live in chi as well, I haven't used road and race yet but was going to before l2b but let me down a bit. Will try them again as I've only ever heard good things. There's mini speed in byfleet which I've used a few times. Get the job done well but each time I've been they seem a little moody but I could just be choosing the wrong days to go up :) also there's Slark race engineering, forgotten where they are but I know they're about 1-1:30 hours away. Not used them though

#3 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:08 PM

Yeah slark are Newbury way aren't they? Bit far for me just for an MOT. Think I'll try Sussex R&R. It's always a mission trying to get a 1380mpi past the emissions lol

#4 PetePinnington

PetePinnington

Formally known as PPinno

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

Yea Newbury sounds right! I've been using Trotton gate garage up in Trotton/midhurst for the past few years. Haha I bet it is, try R&R, as I said, haven't heard a bad word about them

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Not used Sussex R&R myself but heard some good feedback amongst New MINI owners on the forums.

#6 villa3

villa3

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Local Club: West Sussex mini club

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

I send both of my minis there,cannot recomend more highly,one of the best classic mini garages around.

#7 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

I use my local garage for the mot. Lovely guys & a cake every time he passes has soon trained them to tick the yes box!

I honestly think making friends with your local mot place is a better shout sometimes. The same garage lets me borrow tools for free on a Friday and return them on a Monday - invaluable when you're fixing a mini on a budget that has no space for a full tool kit purchase.

#8 Mini-Mad-Craig

Mini-Mad-Craig

Crazy About Metro's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:34 AM

Proper decent place with nice staff and some cool projects. Highly recommended. 

#9 screech

screech

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • Local Club: Bognor rock ya mini & WSMOC

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

I've not used them myself, but a lot of people in WSMOC go on about them and use them all the time.

#10 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:05 PM

Cheers peeps. Shall be ringing them in the morning

#11 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:59 PM

No one has mentioned that Sussex Road and Race is run by Kevin Fulbrook who used to work for John Cooper Garages, That is another good thing in its favour. Another Ex JCG man is Tony Franks who runs MINI Motorsport Centre not too far away in Shoreham. He used to be in charge of John Cooper's workshop. He recently fitted my Janspeed exhaust system to my RSP and I was very impressed. I would be interested to know what other people's experiences are.

Despite what some misery guts on this forum think about the MINI it is great that it has provided the continuity and allowed the opportunity for the professionals who have made the transition to continue in business while retaining their knowledge and experience of caring for our classics.

Edited by minidizzy, 04 July 2014 - 10:27 PM.

#12 Mat

Mat

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:14 AM

I knew it was run by someone well known, couldn't for the life of me remember who though! I'll be giving them a look once I've fitted my new cylinder head.

#13 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,843 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

No one has mentioned that Sussex Road and Race is run by Kevin Fulford who used to work for John Cooper Garages, That is another good thing in its favour. Another Ex JCG man is Tony Franks who runs MINI Motorsport Centre not too far away in Shoreham. He used to be in charge of John Cooper's workshop. He recently fitted my Janspeed exhaust system to my RSP and I was very impressed. I would be interested to know what other people's experiences are.

Despite what some misery guts on this forum think about the MINI it is great that it has provided the continuity and allowed the opportunity for the professionals who have made the transition to continue in business while retaining their knowledge and experience of caring for our classics.

Tony Franks and MINI Motorsport Centre are also often recommended on the New MINI forums but as mentioned in the MINITorque link below they are not very quick to reply to emails or the phone. MT Quote: "One thing 1320MINI and MMC have in common is that they're both bloody hard to get hold of on the phone because they're so busy!" :lol:

http://www.minitorqu...t-centre-35806/

MINI Motorsport Centre

Unit 12, Western Road Garage, Western Road,
Shoreham-by-sea, West Sussex, BN43 5WD.

Tel: 01273 446666

http://www.minimotorsportcentre.com/

Edited by mab01uk, 21 June 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#14 silve1999

silve1999

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Local Club: MiniFreakz, Brighton Mini Club

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Kevin fulbrook at Sussex road and race is very good and a nice bloke as well. Very good garage and very busy garage with a lot of repeat custom

#15 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

Well took the mini to get MOT at Sussex R&R and she passed (with a little fettling). Top place and nice guys there. Same again next year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users